Happy New Year! We are looking forward to a year full of growth and lots of relevant educations information for our fellow parents in 2012. We've been busy working on updating the site with new features to help you with your school search that will be rolled out soon. In the meantime, we'll continue to update our calendar events and education news.
Here is great recap of the best and worst education events of 2011 from Leonie Haimson at NYC Public School Parent.
Anything to add? Let us know in comments below.
'Tis the Season...the school application season...and everyone is talking about schools -- at the playground, on anonymous online message boards, at the supermarket-- but are you talking to the right people and are you getting the right information?
- How do you know what the right school is? What do you really need to know about tours, play dates, thank you notes, lottery schools, testing, etc.?
- Financial aid for private schools – is it real?
We have done the research for you and have put together a group of parent experts from the schools that you want to attend, who are ready to share their experiences. Let’s Talk Schools is having a social mixer, to provide parents applying to schools an opportunity to connect with other parents in an informal setting to 'talk schools’ with each other.
Come mix and mingle at our School Information Speed Date Night with parents that will give you the real, unedited scoop on schools and answer your questions live, one-on- one. Our Parent Experts have knowledge of ongoing schools*, experience of successfully completing the application process and they don’t mind talking about schools all night long!
Come join our conversation.
*Schools represented include the following:-
- Fieldston Lower / Dalton / Trevor Day / Riverdale Country /
- Bank Street / Columbia Grammar & Prep / St Hilda’s and St Hughe’s / Spence
- NEST+m / PS 166 G&T / Hunter /PS 180 /Manhattan School for Children / Ascension
- New York French-American Charter School / Upper Westside Success Academy
- Weekday Preschool / Claremont (now MontClare) / Twin Parks Schools – Riverside, Central Park and Park West Montessori
* Final list of schools subject to change
Education news this week has been breaking at a dizzying pace. This interview with on Democracy Now with Diane Ravitch, a professor of education at NYU, New York University, and senior fellow at the Brookings Institution, and Leonie Haimson, a public school parent and executive director of Class Size Matters, is well worth a read. Here are some highlights: Continue reading "Education News For Week Ending July 31, 2010"
The New York State English Language Arts (ELA) and Math test scores for the 2009-2010 school year have been released. The document is rather larger so here are the relevant sections for the schools in Harlem and Upper Manhattan:
District 3 - pgs. 622-639
District 4 - pgs. 640-654
District 5 - pgs. 655-670
District 6 - pgs. 671-684
Before we get into any of the commentary about the results (and there's plenty already), let's go over what these levels mean. Continue reading "NY State ELA and Math Test Scores – What Do They Mean?"