The image above is how most people feel when it comes to NYC Public High School admissions. Can the process be any more complicated than it already is? I don't think so.
My child is a rising 7th grader so we (mostly me at this point) are fully immersed in the high school search. In order to introduce ourselves to the process, we have attended a high school admission workshop sponsored by CEC3 and I have attended the DOE summer High School Admissions Family Workshops. The workshops are great for getting general information on the overall high school & specialized high school admissions process and meeting representatives from the Specialized High Schools. A new feature this year is a separate workshop on the arts auditions process. They provided audition guides for each of the arts disciplines - visual arts, film, instrumental music, drama, vocal music, and dance. These guides will most likely be posted on the DOE website eventually but I'm happy to send a copy to anyone who requests one.
At this point in the process, depending on whether you will be entering 7th or 8th grade in the fall, here's what's recommended:
- During the summer before school starts, it's a good idea to attend the summer high school admission family workshops and start to familiarize yourself with your options. The DOE School Finder and High School Directory are both online.
- If you're considering attending a Specialized High School, put together a plan and start studying for the Specialized High School Admission Test (SHSAT)
- Be sure to get to school every day and don't be late! Attendance is an important part of individual school admission rubrics.
- Practice and collect your best work from 7th grade. You'll need it to put together an art portfolio or prepare for an audition to a high school arts program.
Summer Before 8th Grade
- Attend the summer high school admission family workshops and start to create a list of school that you think might be a good fit. The DOE School Finder and High School Directory are both online.
- Be sure to study for the SHSAT, rehearse for your auditions and work on your art portfolio.
- Check school websites, our events calendar or contact schools directly for school open house and tour dates. Set up a calendar to keep track of tour dates and application deadlines. You don't want to miss anything.
- Attend the high school fairs in September and October. Check the DOE website or our events calendar for dates.
- Find audition dates for specific audition programs and register. Check the school websites or contact the school directly for up-to-date information.
- For screened programs, find out admission requirements and instructions in the High School Directory.
- Attend open houses and tours.
- Register for the SHSAT and/or LaGuardia High School auditions through your school counselor or at a Family Welcome Center by October 11, 2018
- Get your SHSAT ticket and/or LaGuardia High School audition ticket
- Take the SHSAT and/or audition for LaGuardia High School as scheduled
- For audition programs, go to auditions and/or interviews
- For screened programs, complete assessments and/or submit portfolios.
- Submit your Round 1 application online, through your counselor, or at a Family Welcome Center by December 3, 2018.
Check our site for continued updates as we advance through the admission process.